Sunday, August 3, 2008

Today ended with a trip to the emergency room with my youngest. To make a long story short, he has been working this week demolishing a mobile home. He did not wear gloves when taking out a window and to make a long story short, he literally shaved off the bottoms of two of his fingers. Honestly. Good news is he did not hit bone, barely. Bad news is, his finger prints will be drasticly altered, fingertips scarred, and there is nerve damage so he will not have feeling in his fingers like he did before. They could not be sewn because we did not have the rest of the fingers to reattach. However, it definitely could have been worse. Doctor said it will heal. I was very appalled at our treatment at the hospital. Again, to make a long story short, they did NOT wash his filthy hand, the nurse did not wash her hands, and they tried to release him without bandaging his hand. No kidding. I had to say something. THEN as if it were not enough, she bandaged his hand without covering the fingertips. That was a real piece of brilliance on her part. And she did not wash her hands before touching his fingers. And she did not put any ointment or anything on em. I called my neice who is a nurse. She met me at my house and re-treated him. I feel much better about his hand now. I dont feel like it is going to rot off from infection due to shabby med practices.

I am ready to go to bed after that!!!


Warning: Do not scroll down if you are squeamish. Picture of fingers to follow.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Photobucket

2 comments:

Sara~Graphic Pretties said...

Oh my word Terri!!
Poor guy that looks just awful!
I will say a prayer for him right now that he did not have too much nerve damage! Hope he is not in too much pain.

Terri said...

Oddly enough, the only pain he seems to have is when we change the bandages. Sometimes they stick, even though we are using non stick type. It is looking better, he is taking his antibiotics like he is supposed to, but still going to work. Males can be so foolish.

Thanks you so much for saying a prayer for him Sara. I do appreciate it.