Monday, July 2, 2007

Blackberry Dumplin's

One thing that I have learned as I get older is how important it is to appreciate the small things in life. One of my favorite things as a child was eating cold blackberry dumplin's that my mom used to make. I remember how they smelled as they were cooking, and couldn't wait to eat em. Everyone else had theirs warm with ice cream. Not me. I was the oddball. I had mine cold. Yummy! I never thought there would be a time in my life when I didnt have those dumplin's. I sure didn't pay attention to how my mom made em either. My mother has been gone for over 21 years now. She left us at an early age. I wish I had paid attention to how she made that wonderful treat that I loved so much.

This recipe is the closest I have found yet to my mom's. If you like blackberries, you should give it a try. You won't regret it.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Grandma Crumbaugh's Blackberry Dumplin's



1/2--gal. blackberries

2--cups water

1 1/2--sticks margarine

1--egg

1 1/4--cups sugar

1/4--teaspoon salt

1--cup milk

2--cups flour plus a little more for "making' 'em stiff"



You will need a large pot. Prepare blackberries, add water and cook until soft. "While them berries are cookin', you can start the dumplings'. Mix a stick of margarine, an egg, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 cups of flour 'til it all comes together to make a good dough". Flour a dough board or cloth and knead in flour until the dough is stiff enough to roll out. By this time you can add 1 cup of sugar and a half stick margarine to your berry broth. "While them berries are comin' to a boil, roll out the dough and cut it into narrow strips, then cut 'em crosswise to make little squares". Drop dumplings into boiling berries until top of broth is covered. Next, "stir 'em in, but don't get too carried away or you'll tear 'em up", as Grandma used to say. Keep adding and stirring until all of the dumplings are in. Lower heat and cook 5 minutes or 'til they're done.



No comments: