Monday, December 6, 2010


I did something over the weekend that I have not done in probably over 15 years......paid money for a cookbook. The web is so convenient, I can look up any recipe I might want. Plus, I have a reather extensive collection of cookbooks from all the years I was addicted to them. Most of them came from garage sales, some of them Christmas gifts. The one I purchased last weekend came from Dollar General. It is called " 1001 Recipes: Short, easy, inexpensive". Paid 5 bucks for it, and it was 5 dollars well spent. I love it. Since our weather here in Southern Illinois has been in the teens the past few days, I have been happily exploring the soup section of my new book. Here are a few of the recipes I have tried so far and found to be exactly what the title promises, not to mention plain yummy!




Incredible Broccoli-Cheese Soup


1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli

2 TBSP butter

1/2 of a small onion, chopped

1/4 c. flour

1 16 oz. carton half and half cream

1 14 oz. can chicken broth ( I used hot water and a 1- 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules)

1 8 oz. pkg. cubed mild mexican velveeta cheese ( I used plain generic velveeta )

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper


Punch several holes in broccoli package and microwave for 5 minutes. Turn package and microwave addistional 4 minutes. Leave in microwave for 3 minutes.


In large saucepan, melt butter and saute onion, but do not brown. Add flour, stir and gradually add cream, chicken broth, salt and pepper.


Stir constantly and heat until mixture is slightly thick. Do not let mixture come to boil. Add cheese, stir and heat until cheese melts. Add cooked broccoli. Serve piping hot. Serves 6.



Beefy Vegetable Soup


1 lb. lean ground beef

1 46 oz. can cocktail vegetable juice ( I assumed this was V-8. Anyways, it worked fine.)

1 packet onion soup mix

1 3oz pkg. beef flavored ramen noodles

1 16 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables


In large soup pot over medium heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in cocktail juice, soup mix, contents of noodle seasioning packet, and mixed vegetables.


Heat mixture to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Return to boiling. Break up noodles, add to soup. Cook for 3 minutes. Serves 4.



Six Can Chicken Soup


1 14 oz. can chicken broth

1 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup

1 12oz. can chicken breast

1 15 oz. can chili beans

1 10oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles

1 16 oz. bag tortilla chips

1 8oz. pkg shredded cheese

Sour cream


In sauce pan combine broth, soup, chicken, beans, and tomatoes and green chiles. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over a few crused tortilla chips and top with cheese and sour cream.


No comments: