Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February is National Wild Bird Feeding Month. My mother was an avid bird watcher; a hobby that sadly, I did not inherit from her. My grandson and I however, do have a few birdfeeders placed in the yard, and he really loves watching them. For all of you who feed our feathered friends, I would like to share this list:

Blue jay - Peanut kernels and any type of sunflower seed.
Cardinal - Sunflower seeds, cracked corn, raisins, and unsalted nutmeats.
Chickadee - Black-oil sunflower seeds, peanut kernels, and suet.
Finch - Black-oil sunflower seeds, and thistle seeds.
Mourning dove - Cracked corn and black-oil.
Native sparrows - Millet, black-oil sunflower seeds, and cracked corn.
Nuthatch - Suet and black oil sunflower seeds
Robin - Any type of fruit.
Woodpecker - Suet, sunflower seeds, and peanuts.

You can find out how to make a simple bird feeder here.




Photobucket

No comments: